Community Rules & Etiquette and Privacy Guidelines
Thank you for being part of NAPFA's online community. To ensure the best possible experience for all members, we have established some basic guidelines for participation.
By joining and using this community, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. You also agree to reserve discussions and shared files and content to financial planning professional topics that are best suited to the medium. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation on financial planning and related topics. Questions and feedback on NAPFA products and services should be directed to the Member Services department via the Contact Us link on this site. Technical questions on association management issues should be directed to NAPFA HQ as well.
Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important guidelines. If you have questions, contact the Member services department. In order to preserve a climate that encourages both civil and meaningful dialogue, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate membership in this community for anyone who violates these rules.
- Don't challenge, make disparaging remarks, or attack others. The discussions and comments are meant to stimulate conversation that further your practice as financial planners not to create contention, call into question the qualifications of other advisors or organizational positions. Let others have their say, just as you may and move on.
- Don't post commercial messages in any discussion forum or community, resource library entry, or other areas where others might see it. Contact people directly with product and service information if you believe it would help them.
- Use caution when discussing products. The information posted in this community and in the libraries is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- All defamatory, derogatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive or illegal materials are strictly prohibited. Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Please note carefully all items listed in the disclaimer and legal rules below, particularly regarding the copyright ownership of information posted.
- Remember that other participants have the right to reproduce postings to this site unless you specify otherwise.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate lists or libraries. Do not spam several lists or libraries with the same message.
All messages must add to the body of knowledge. We reserve the right to reject any message for any reason.
- NAPFA Engage messages should not contain promotional material, special offers, job offers, product announcements, or solicitations for services. NAPFA reserves the right to remove the promotional messages as potentially ban sources of those solicitations.
Discussion Group Etiquette
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, location.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire forum when it focuses on financial planning topics and contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire community. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link in every message.
- Do not send administrative messages, such as remove me from the community. Instead, use the web interface to change your settings or to remove yourself from a community. If you are changing e-mail addresses, you do not need to remove yourself from the community and rejoin under your new e-mail address. Simply change your settings.
- Warn other participants of lengthy messages either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says "Long Message."
The Legal Stuff
This site is provided as a service for the members of National Association of Personal Financial Advisors. National Association of Personal Financial Advisors is not responsible for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by National Association of Personal Financial Advisors or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall National Association of Personal Financial Advisors be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, personally directed, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants National Association of Personal Financial Advisors and users of this site the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or implicitly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another's business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade. Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, fee data, discounts, or terms or conditions of sale; salaries; profits, profit margins, or cost data; market shares, sales territories, or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers.
National Association of Personal Financial Advisors does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the attention of National Association of Personal Financial Advisors we will take all appropriate action.
National Association of Personal Financial Advisors reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
We respect your privacy
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization except as noted below.
With Whom Do We Share the Personal Information We Collect Through This Site
Our Service Providers.
We may share your personal information with companies (including our affiliates) that perform services on our behalf, for example, companies that help process credit card payments. Our service providers are required by contract to protect the confidentiality of the personal information we share with them and to use it only to provide specific services on our behalf.
Government and Legal Disclosures
We may disclose the personal information we collect through this Site, when we, in good faith, believe disclosure is appropriate to comply with the law (or court order or subpoena); to prevent or investigate a possible crime, such as fraud or identity theft; to enforce our Terms and Conditions or other agreements that govern your use of this Site; or to protect the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, or others.
Remember The Risks Whenever You Use The Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition, other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly if you have any questions about their privacy policies. For any other information please contact us using the Contact Us page